- Product stability. It simply doesn’t crash, and I have used it for over 4 years. Other programs tend to duplicate contacts on both sides if the sync log gets corrupted.
- It’s easy to use. You can allow the Android and the computer to sync every 15 minutes, and you have to do nothing to make it work after the initial setup.
- Handheld Contact runs as its own application, so you can keep your personal life separate from your business life.
- It offers an offline copy of Act! while you are out of internet range
- You can record history from the Android and it will show up as a “history” in Act! when you get back to the office
- You can send email from the Android from Handheld Contact and it records right to Act! history
- You can send SMS (Text Messages) from the Android, and it records right into Act! history as well.
- Use the Android speech to text feature when dictating the results of your sales calls right to Act! history while the details are fresh
- Act! Pro users do not require the upgrade to Act! Premium edition
OK, what are some drawbacks ?
- The application supports 7,000 contacts (5,000 with Act! 2012 and older) on the Android. If you have more than that, you need to make a group in Act! or upgrade the license to either HHC+ (+$20) or HHC+ Premium (+$35.95) to the basic price of $79/device/year
- Some may say it’s a disadvantage not to use the native calendar and contact list on the Android.
- To get caller ID, HHC requires an additional step to export the contact to the Android address book to see caller ID
Why not use Act! Premium Cloud (aka Act! Premium Mobile) ?
- Handheld Contact offers offline mobile access while the Act! Premium Mobile requires an internet connection
- Handheld Contact offers greater workflow. For example, after you dial from Handheld Contact, Handheld Contact prompts you to record history after the call. Then, use the Android’s speech to text feature to dictate and record the event.
- For Act! Pro users, you don’t need to upgrade to Act! Premium and get a web server setup to leverage the Act! Premium Mobile service
It’s a different approach on licensing.
Handheld Contact is a service that happens to be software starting $79/year per user, which includes software updates. Some of our clients balk at paying an annual fee for software. Let’s suppose another package runs for $50 as a one time fee; you need to factor your potential down time if the program breaks. After supporting mobile devices for Act! since 1998, we know a $50 desktop program cannot be perfectly stable for many years for PDA integration with Act!.
In terms of productivity and a “fire and forget” approach to software, Handheld Contact is a critical tool for any Act! user who needs mobility.